Thursday, March 10, 2011

Finished and Working

My Paul Jackson Workshop Painting -Finished!
I finished my painting from the Paul Jackson Glass and Shiny things workshop a little while ago but hadn't posted it here on my blog. So there you go. I have had a couple people ask if it was available for sale, yes it is!

When I go to a workshop I really work hard to take in everything I can.I get very serious about learning and paying attention. A couple of things my high school teachers probably thought I wasn't capable of doing!

I actually start to work on a painting for a long time before I ever start drawing or getting a paint brush wet. Right now because I have so much to learn I really think about what I am trying to learn from each painting, or how I am going to use the painting to apply what I learned differently.   I have started drawing a still life I set up and photographed. It's of some of my Dad's fishing reels and lures. It has a lot going on in it. We've got lots of little pieces, shiny stuff, reflections, contrast, interesting shapes. I think it will be a challenge and hopefully will turn out nice. The more I worked on the drawing the more it reinforces something of been told been many artist friends; Art is more about learning to see than learning to draw.

If you are at all interested in art I encourage you to look for something new in something you've seen a million times. A shadow, a reflection, a color shift. It is amazing how the simplest can take on such interest if you really see it.

Finish out the week strong!

2 comments: