Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Back from The Workshop

I set out for my workshop journey Thursday morning. As I mapped out my trip I realized (with the help of a friend) that I would be going right past Antique Archeology of the American Pickers TV show. That was a little disappointing. The place is really small and none of the show personalities were there. But Abigale seen on the left with me was very nice and I got to see a few of the items picked on the show. I tried to sell by brother-in-laws match box cars, Tonka trucks and a Johnny West Action figure. They offered $35 for Johnny West but had no interest in the rest. 

The workshop started on Friday and the piece we would be painting was very intimidating. Paul uses a technique that forces you to really see what is there instead of relying on what you know (or think you know). You do a lot of masking and an unbelievable number of washes. At times I think everyone there was thinking; "Can't I just paint it darker and avoid some of these washes?" But the results speak for themselves. 

I was also fortunate enough to be able to stay with a friend of the Jacksons. She was the most gracious host I could ever have asked for. This was more like visiting with a long lost friend than staying with someone I never met. Both Paul and Marla are so kind and attentive to everyone at the workshop. I think everyone there was pushed to work hard on their painting but nurtured and encouraged all along the way. 

If you ever have the opportunity or desire to learn watercolor. I can not say enough good things about Paul's workshop. There is no doubt that it is challenging but very, very rewarding. Paul and Marla travel the United States and do occasional international painting trips too. If you are one of my Wisconsin friends, they will be doing a workshop in Door county this year. (Kaylene has already told me to get selling so I can pay for another workshop) If you would like to learn more about Paul's workshops visit: Paul Jackson's website

1 comment:

  1. I cant stop thinking about painting ever since the workshop! I keep visualizing thin wash over thin wash. I think that is the secret to Paul's clean lines - with all those washes the surface becomes very smooth.

    ReplyDelete