Thursday, February 10, 2011

Time to Buckle Down

This week has had a lot of ups for me personally. Painting successes for me don't seem to come one after another. What I mean by that is, when I have a painting that I feel good about and others seem to like, the next painting isn't always better. In fact I think the painting after a really successful one could be the toughest one yet.

Right now I have two things on my mind painting related. What do I start on next? And my workshop with Paul Jackson. I have a list of paintings I would like to do. I will be going back and looking at the list and deciding where to go next.

My painting "Believe" has been a great experience. I have never felt so honored by the number of comments and people who want one of them It is really a neat feeling. But when I reflect on that painting, and a couple of others I have done recently, I also recognize a couple of things I need to work on. I love to create my own scenes. Building from visions in my head as opposed to looking at a reference photo and recreating or putting my own little spin on it. But when I create from complete scratch, I am missing with reflections, shadow placement or giving animals and objects and natural and interesting look.

One of my next goals is to really see and understand how shadows, reflections, contrast and texture are impacted by the light sources. How do I really envision that accurately that and convey it. I am looking forward to gaining some understanding of this at the Paul Jackson workshop. The tough part is taking what you learn in a demo and applying it to paintings of things that are nothing like the demo.

It's been a great week and I sure have enjoyed and appreciated all of the attention that "Believe" has gotten from family and friends. Thank you all very much. Stay tuned and I will post my workshop results.

No comments:

Post a Comment