Saturday, February 5, 2011

Super Bowl

As I have been working on my painting of Aaron Rodgers, I have also been reading stories and more so watching all of the Super Bowl hype around all of the players. There is something I want people to know about my painting; why I chose Aaron Rodgers; and my general thoughts on celebrities.

I wanted to do a painting of a Packer. I have followed the Packers through the days of Scott Hunter and John Hadl; dog gone it we deserve to enjoy these occasional great teams after those years. But even before I learned more about Aaron, I was impressed at his composure during the whole Brett Favre thing. I want to be very clear, he is not my idol. But I am impressed by his skill and respect him for the way he has handled himself.

I believe everyone has special gifts from God. It's up to each of us to use those gifts to their fullest and multiply what God has given them (The Parable of the Bags of Gold). For some people using those gifts thrusts them into the spotlight. But it is how they conduct themselves and use that spotlight that makes a difference.

I don't seek out autographs normally. I did when I was a kid hanging out at Goodland Field watching the Appleton Foxes play. But that was a long time ago. But I have met a few famous people who I felt honored to meet and I did get their autographs. I met Bob Hope when I was hired to photograph him during the Greater Milwaukee Open. He was an incredibly nice man. I was given a ride from the airport to my hotel in Phoenix by Brewer hitting coach Dale Svuem. It was like talking to an old friend about baseball and life. And of course I have talked a number of times about how gracious Paul Jackson, one of the most amazing artists you'll ever see, has been.

These men and many others (including Aaron Rodgers) have used their gifts to their fullest and I admire that. But what has impressed me most is their ability to know, that in the big picture of things, they are no different than anyone else, regardless of how many people try to tell them differently.

Why did I feel the need to "blog" about this? I am not a starstruck fan who is running out to snap up Aaron Rodgers items. For me it is a painting that celebrates a snapshot in Packer history and also honors what Aaron Rodgers seems to be about, more than Aaron Rodgers the man.

One final thought. Does anyone actually read this?

Lance

No comments:

Post a Comment